Friday, April 3, 2009

Mentorship

I had coffee with my Lead Pastor Jeff Maness yesterday. Jeff has been coaching me through my calling into ministry. He's also one of a couple of mentors I have right now, all of which are great guys by the way.

So one of the things we talked about was some of the doubt that I've been struggling with. To clarify, I have NO doubt about what God has called me to do or what He currently expects from me. But sometimes I do doubt my qualifications, I doubt that I'm where I'm supposed to be in my walk with God, or that I'm doing enough to serve Him. Sometimes it can make you feel very alone in that struggle.

But that is where a good mentor and a great mentor differ. I think a good mentor will listen to your concerns and promise to help get you through those rough spots. I think a great mentor (in anything) is able to relate to those moments of doubt and tell you honestly that they have and still do share some of those same doubts. Society tends to hold leaders at a higher level of standards and rightfully so in many occasions. But I think that changes a little when you begin to look at a leader as a mentor. Typically we select our mentors for the expertise they have in that given field. When you begin viewing someone as a mentor, it becomes much easier to assume they have it all figured out. You can automatically associate the mentorship title you gave them with a lack of struggle. A good mentor may not address that issue, a great mentor will assure you they struggle with it too and walk with you through that struggle.

It's important to remember that we choose our mentors because we know they have dealt with whatever we're trying to do or figure out. If you think your mentor doesn't understand what you're going through, maybe you don't have a real mentor. Or maybe you're placing unreal expectations on your mentor.

Still Learning More All the Time,
Bruce

No comments:

Post a Comment